* Uttarakhand, formerly Uttaranchal, is a state in the northern part of India. It is often referred to as the Land of Gods due to the many holy Hindu temples and cities found throughout the state, some of which are among Hinduism`s most spiritual and auspicious places of pilgrimage and worship.
* Uttarakhand is also known as Devbhoomi, due to the numerous temples scattered all over the state. It has something to offer for every kind of visitor whether he is coming for adventure, pilgrimage or relaxation. It has come into existence as 27th state in 2000.
* Bordered in North by China and East by Nepal, the neighbouring states are Himanchal Pradesh to the West and Uttar Pradesh in the South, Uttarakhand is a major tourism sector of India.
* The legends of man eaters of Uttarakhand are world famous. A leopard of Kumaun killed 125 people before Jim Corbett killed him. A female bengal tiger, called Champawat tiger killed around 450 people. Jim corbett has written a bestseller - Man eaters of Kumaon, covering all the major man eaters. Hence in honour a national park named jim corbett national park.
* India's oldest national park - Jim Corbett national park is in Uttarakhand. It is the place with the highest tiger density in the world.
* It is home to Valley of Flowers - UNESCO world heritage site. It is a place with diverse variety of exotic and endangered flowers.
* Mussoorie, also known as queen of hills, was the initial capital of Dalai Lama. During the 1959 Tibetan Rebellion, the Central Tibetan Administration of the 14th Dalai Lama was at first established in Mussoorie before being moved to its present location in Dharamsala, Himachal Pradesh.
* World's highest (altitude) road, the Mana Pass is in Uttarakhand. civilians are not allowed.
* Uttarakhand has highest percentage of total state population in Indian army than any other Indian state.
* The only state in India with Sanskrit as a official language.
* Auli is considered to have the best skiing slopes in India. It holds National Skiing Championship.
* The Yoga capital of the world - Rishikesh is in Uttarakhand. Also this place is famous for its beautiful white sand river banks and adventure sports like rafting.
* This is the state where two most important rivers originates, i.e, The Ganga at Gangotri and the Yamuna at Yamunotri.