* Uttar pradesh was created on 1st April, 1937 as United Province which was renamed to as Uttar Pradesh in 1950. Uttar Pradesh is the largest state in India by population. Uttar Pradesh is surrounded by many states including Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Jharkhand, Haryana, Bihar, Delhi, and Uttarakhand.
* Lucknow is the capital city of the state of Uttar Pradesh, India.
* Allahabad High Court is the fourth oldest high court in India. This is located in UP.
* Varanasi is a city in Uttar Pradesh Regarded as the spiritual capital of India, the city draws pilgrims who bathe in the River Ganges’ sacred waters and perform funeral rites.
* Allahabad Kumbh Mela 2013 recorded the world’s largest human gathering in the world ever. According to the reports, about 12 crore registered visitors visited the Kumbh Mela.
* Uttar Pradesh has good number of religious destinations, such as Varanasi, Gorakhpur, Mathura, Lucknow, Agra, Allahabad, and many others. Uttar Pradesh is one of the most important religious states in India.
* In ancient and medieval periods, Uttar Pradesh was the home of many powerful empires such as Mughals, Magadh, Kushan, Pal, Rashtrakut, Maurya, and Nand.
* Uttar Pradesh has given many great Hindi writers, such as Prem Chand, Kabirdas, Mahadevi Verma, Tulsidas, Harivansh Rai Bachchan, Bhagwati Charan Verma, and many others.
* Uttar Pradesh is the home of many popular universities, such as Aligarh Muslim University, Banaras Hindu University and Darul Uloom Deoband.
* Taj Mahal which is one of the 7 wounder of the world is located in Agra, Uttar Pradesh.
* The two major rivers of the state, the Ganges and Yamuna, join at Allahabad and then flow as the Ganges further east.
* The kingdom of Kosala, in the Mahajanapada era, was located within the regional boundaries of modern-day Uttar Pradesh. According to Hindu legend, the divine king Rama of the Ramayana epic reigned in Ayodhya, the capital of Kosala.
* Krishna, another divine king of Hindu legend, who plays a key role in the Mahabharata epic and is revered as the eighth reincarnation (Avatar) of the Hindu god Vishnu, is said to have been born in the city of Mathura, in Uttar Pradesh.
* If Uttar Pradesh were to be a separate country, it would be world's fifth most populous country. Its a heavily populated state.