* Tripura is named after the “Tipara” tribe to which the ruling kingdom of Tripura belonged. Tripura was ruled by Tripuri dynasty having a status of princely state under british rule. It became union territory on 1st nov 1957 and became a state on 21st jan 1972. On the very day 2 more state formed namely Meghalaya and manipur.
* Bengali culture co-exists along with the ethnic culture in Tripura. The Bengali people from the majority in the State of Tripura. The local ethnic tribes count for the remaining 31 percent as per 2001 cencus.
* Agartala is the capital of Tripura.
* The neighbouring states of Tripura are Assam and Mizoram. Bangladesh is the neighbouring country.
* Major festivals of tripura include Kharchi Puja, Ker Festival, Garia Puja, etc.