* Gujarat is derived from Sanskrit Gurjar-Rashtra, the Gurjar nation. Gujarat was known as Gurjaratra (country ruled or protected by the Gurjars) or Gurjarabhumi (land of the Gurjars) for centuries prior to the Mughal period.
* Gujarat is the only home of Asiatic Lions. Gir Forest National Park covers 1412 sq km area.
* Gujarat has the longest sea shore compared to any other Indian state.
* Gujarat has been one of the main centres of the Indus Valley Civilization. It contains major ancient metropolitan cities from the Indus Valley such as Lothal, Dholavira, and Gola Dhoro. India’s first port was established at the ancient city of Lothal.
* Gandhinagar is the greenest capital city in whole Asia.
* Ahmedabad was previous capital of gujarat but later changed to Gandhinagar in 1970.
* Gujarat is the largest milk producer in the country.
* The British East India Co. first set up its trading centre in Surat in 1818.
* Alang, Bhavnagar is the largest ship breaking yard in the world.
* 80% of all diamonds sold anywhere in the world are polished in the state of Gujarat.