* Devi Sati’s right toes fell in the Kalighat shrine. There is also a temple dedicated to Lord Shiva worshipped as Nakulesh in lingam form nearby.
* The temple was earlier located on the banks of the main Ganga River. (ancient times) Due to change of course during the periods the temple lies now on the banks of a canal called as Adi Ganga which connects Hoogly.
* The temple has references in the Mahabharat.
* In the past kalighat was a small hut. Later on a small temple was built by king Manasingh during 16th century. Later it (the one which we see today) was extended by Sabarna Roy Chowdhury family of Barisha in 1809. The official priests (shebaits) are Haldar family.
* Its believed Kolkatta got its name from Kalighat.